Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Level 8 15 pushupsx4
25 minutes
04 November (290 cal)

Two people have brought to my attention the alleged nefarious attributes of diet drinks. Mark and my dad both remind me of the other in one significant way: they're always quoting the latest scientific study, especially about health issues.

I admit I like diet drinks, and I consume way more than I should. But Mark and my dad both believe that diet drinks actually cause one to gain weight, regardless of total calories consumed.

So I've decided to see for myself. I'm limiting myself to no more than 36 ounces a day until my current supply is gone (I buy a lot of diet mountain dew when it's on sale). After that, I will go cold turkey for three months, and re-evaluate then.

1 comment:

Mark said...

The health risks I was talking about were from old studies, back when it was approved in the US, but before the EU or Japan accepted it. The EU changed approved aspartame in 1994 and I'm not sure if Japan has yet (they use stevia).

I have seen some things about diet sodas leading to weight gain, though. Supposedly, artificial sweeteners damage the body's ability to estimate calories and lead to eating more sweet foods.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040630/artificial-sweeteners-damage-diet-efforts