Sunday, May 20, 2007

Reflections After Two Months

I started my ninth week today, and I'm quite pleased with my progress up to now. This weekend, for the first time, I could actually see clear, convincing improvement in my physique. My wife had been telling me from after the first month that she could tell the difference, but I thought she was just trying to keep me motivated.

Of course I can gauge my progress from the training log, but it's another feeling of accomplishment altogether when the mirror gives you feedback. I haven't lost much weight-only 3-5 pounds tops, but my waist is definitely smaller, and my pants fit more loosely than before. My shirts feel slightly tighter in the shoulders and arms-certainly due to the pushups. I think that's why I haven't lost much weight-I've gained some muscle in the upper body, and also my legs. I still have a long way to go, but after another year I hope to reach my target goal of 180 pounds. And actually, weight loss isn't even my primary goal.

The program has paid dividends in other areas of my life as well. I think I have more energy and productivity at work-about 30% in fact. I also believe my general mood and well-being have changed for the better. Not quite where I want to be, but well on the way. The first few weeks were tough, just because it was difficult to see any difference. But I fought through the doldrums and the gains are coming. Now to enjoy the euphoria until the inevitable plateaus...

No comments: